Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sidetracking provided me with this daughter

My youngest daughter is a joy--a joy I would have never had. During the course of 3 miscarriages, tests, and wondering if I could have another child, I was quite blue. Little did I know then that I would later be rejoicing--not that I didn't get to know the 3 that could have been, but that I got to know the one that would not have been if she had been number 5. Does that make sense to anyone? Another original plan that went off track, but with a wonderful re-routed destination.
This is obviously the youngest daughter, and in my previous post, can you guess if she started out as the sister who gave in or got used to having her way? Her sister was 5 1/2 years older, delighted about being a big sister, and started giving in while her little sister was a baby. This became a hard pattern to break as the younger got used to it. They got along well during the giving in years, and hit some rough patches as age made a difference in their interests and the older sister started spending more time with her own friends. While in college, the older sister moved back home. I am thankful as this gave them the opportunity to spend time together while being more on the same level again as they reconnected and became quite close again. They now actually live in the same city and spend time together as my grandchildren get to know their fun aunt.

She is fun to kids partly because that is one side of her personality, but she is also an early childhood educator and knows how to be on their level. Interesting how she got into that field. She is very independent by nature and was very resistant to even considering education as her mom (me) is a teacher and many of her friends were pursuing education degrees. She was sidetracked and blindsided while working at the Children's Center on campus. We all figured out quickly she had a natural talent for relating to, disciplining, and educating these young children in appropriate ways. She finally admitted that was her calling (rather than advertising). She was lead teacher for times when her class schedule would permit and has been a developmental pre-school teacher in her new city (where such jobs were then available) since graduating almost 4 years ago. Her school system is opening a Pre-school Center this year and she will be doing evaluations and conferences for special needs as well as doing curriculum training and professional development for all the teachers. As an itinerant special education teacher and consultant, it has taken me 35 years to get a desk area and cabinets I can call my own while she has a private office now.

I am happy and proud for her. She is witty, funny, organized where it counts, committed, and talented. I am most impressed by her efforts to grow in her faith and how hard she works at getting all she can from that journey. I am proud of the Christian young woman she has become and the serving heart she has with these children, her family, and friends.









2 comments: